Enhancing quality of life by empowering individuals and strengthening communities.

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

Serving: Alcona | Alpena | Arenac | Cheboygan | Crawford | Iosco | Montmorency | Ogemaw | Oscoda | Otsego | Presque Isle

May 2022 TEFAP Distribution Schedule

The Emergency Food Assistance Program is a quarterly food distribution program. Distributions take place in February, May, August & November. Surplus food is purchased by the United States Department of Agriculture and distributed to those in need.



What Is It?

Helping to Supplement the Diets of Low-Income Michiganders

  • You do not need ID or proof of income. 
  • TEFAP can help you by providing healthy food to supplement your food budget. 
  • If you cannot pick up your food, someone may be your "proxy" and will need a note from you to pick up your food. 

Am I Eligible?

You are eligible if:

  • You live within one of our service counties (listed above)

    Eligibility for TEFAP is based on the need for emergency food and the household meets the below income guidelines or participates in SNAP, WIC, FDPIR, CSFP or a child receives free/reduced meals at school.

    Household Size: 1, Annual: $27,180, Monthly: $2,265 or Weekly: $523
    Household Size: 2, Annual: $36,620, Monthly: $3,052 or Weekly: $704
    Household Size: 3, Annual: $46,060, Monthly: $3,838 or Weekly: $886
    Household Size: 4, Annual: $55,500, Monthly: $4,625 or Weekly: $1,067
    Household Size: 5, Annual: $64,940, Monthly: $5,412 or Weekly: $1,249
    Household Size: 6, Annual: $74,380, Monthly: $6,198 or Weekly: $1,430
    For each additional family member add, Annual: $9,440, Monthly: $787 or Weekly: $182


How Do I Apply?Questions?

Bring proof of residency to the food distribution. Proof of residency can be Michigan Driver's License, State I.D. Card or a current Utility Bill.

How & When Do I Pick Up My Food?

Each county has their own distribution site (sometimes multiple sites). Please see below for upcoming distribution locations, dates & times. 

Click HERE to email or call (989) 358-4700.

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NEMCSAFOODPROGRAMS/

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)        email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.