Region 9 Area Agency on Aging's reaction to COVID
We and our community partners provide care for thousands of older people and adults with disabilities:
Priority #1 is to ensure that our participants’ needs are met and that our team members are safe.
- Meals continue to be delivered—they may be less frequent or a mix of hot, frozen, and shelf-stable, but our nutrition providers are working hard to make sure the food is getting out to those most in need.
- Many senior centers are offering a drive-thru option alongside congregate meals, for older adults who want to pick up a meal to take home.
- Our nutrition assessors, nurses, and social workers who typically make in-home visits will serve our participants by phone.
- Wellness checks to participants by phone may be offered by local partners.
- Our main office location is open. Masks may be required.
- Region 9 AAA is continually monitoring the protocols and communications from the CDC, State of Michigan, Michigan’s Aging and Adult Services Agency, and local health departments.
We stay connected to our providers:
- We care about the direct care workforce. These are individuals with families of their own, taking care of our community’s most at-risk population.
- We contract with home care providers whose workforce is on the front line for service delivery.
- We are committed to communicating frequently with our providers to ensure any issues are addressed with the latest information.
We are all in this together.
This virus knows no race, creed, color, or class. It does impact our older population the most severely because of the multiple chronic conditions that weaken their immune system. Most at risk are those with respiratory conditions.
The State of Michigan and many health systems have hotlines for health-related calls. People most at-risk should use the hotlines when their own doctors cannot be reached. Please call first before presenting at the Emergency Room. Here are the numbers for the hospitals in Region 9’s service area:
- Mid Michigan Health System: (800) 445-7356
- Munson Health System: (231) 935-5000
- McLaren Health System: (231) 487-5550 staffed 9-5 p.m.
- Ascension Health System: (833) 978-0649
- State of Michigan: (888) 535-6136
We all need to compare media reports. Even the most reliable news sources can get something wrong as they rush to get information on the air or in print. We all need to stay informed, gain knowledge, and take appropriate actions.
For the latest information, click the icons below: